our beloved chocolate chip cookies

| | 6 comments







This week marks a month spent in our new home. After weeks of preparation, we moved our little family across the country to pursue greater dreams and futures. That is the plan anyway. After moving back to my hometown for a few months, I realized I had been missing a place I thought I had always want to leave. As a teenager I was so busy trying to get away, move on, and become something, that I didn't take the time to appreciate what my little hometown had. Primarily, it has my family. I always knew it had them, but I didn't realize how much I needed to be near them, if only for a short time after growing up, getting away, moving on and becoming something. I was grateful for those few months spent with them. I miss them now. But I am also grateful to be a part of another family, a worldwide church that can be painfully small sometimes, but in our case it has been a comfort. There is a familiar repose when at Sunday worship, the same lessons are taught with the same spirit and the same love, God's love.

We have also had some dear friends help us grow roots here, sharing their love for this area, and sharing their friends. There is nothing as necessary as tangible relationships with the people around you. A digital connection can be wonderful and fulfilling, but we all need flesh and blood friends, especially when you need to borrow a lawnmower or be a part of a dinner group. In the last few weeks we have met our neighbors, and found copies of people we knew and loved in our previous Utah life. Have you ever met people like that? They are different individuals, with different nuances and traits, but they just flood you with the sense of a specific person, like a shadow of a friend you had in another place, at another time, giving a feeling of attachment that is immediate. I am not sure this phenom happens often, but it has been a bit of a gift for me.

A beloved recipe is like that. Each time you make it, it creates a different memory, but it has the same encompassing feeling. Chocolate Chip cookies will always remind me of days at my Mother's knee learning how to level a dry measure of flour with the backside of a butter knife, and sneaking chocolate chips and tastes of cookie dough when I thought my Mother wasn't looking. Now, as a Mother myself, I teach my daughter the same method of measuring flour, and have to smile to myself when she sneaks chocolate chips and pinches of cookie dough when she thinks I'm not looking. The place is different, the time is different, details and people are different, but the love and familiarity it embodies will always be the same.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup sucanat or brown sugar
1 cup coconut oil or butter, room temperature soft
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 1/4 cups of white whole wheat flour*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sift dry ingredients together, set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar together.
Add vanilla and eggs.
Add flour mixture, and then gently mix in chocolate chips.
Drop by Tablespoonfuls an inch or two apart on a parchment or mat lined baking sheet.
Bake for 13 minutes.
Cool on cooling rack.

*any other flour will do, if you use all purpose or are at higher elevation add a few Tablespoons more.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Look how mature Jane is looking! I just love her hair. Now I'm craving chocolate chip cookies. I'm very vulnerable to food suggestions right now ha! I need to keep that in mind while perusing the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah.. her hair. Such an unresolved nuisance. She wants it long, but I'm not sure her little white trash locks will grow very much! haha Wish I could send you a box of these today!

      Delete
  2. oh sweet jane is so grown up!

    i'm so glad that your transition has gone smoothly, here's to new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great. Now I'm gonna *have* to make me some cookies. These sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

 
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Google+ Instagram BlogLovin Contact Me RSS